Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Journey Ends


Well what can i say? Today is the last day that Thoughts And Notions continues to remain a band. After three long years of existence, I finally called it quits. The band thing to be exact. I could no longer endure another lineup change. After an unpleasant thing happened, I finally chose to let the band go. I personally feel that the band may have finally given in to pressure. Surviving in a very harsh music scene in a small city like Cagayan de Oro is no joke. For one, we have to contend with the locality's less than enthusiastic support for a local band's original song compositions, and secondly, we still had to wrestle with the mainstream listener's hesitance to appreciate Christian music as it is. Sometimes they put us in a box and say that our music should only be played in Churches. One of the most unforgettable line that I heard being uttered by someone who could have chosen to appreciate our songs without prejudice is this:

"Maganda na sana yung music niyo, kaso Christian lang." (You're music is great, if only it wasn't Christian)

What the!?! Why can't people just appreciate Christian Contemporary Music like how they appreciate other types of music? Basically the music is almost the same except for the lyrical content. An artist can write whatever song he wants, whatever story he wants to tell in his songs, and whatever messages he wants to impart. You listen to a song and appreciate it regardless of form, genre, or other labels that we would want to put in. When I started Thoughts And Notions, I was never afraid of the labels. I didn't care if the mainstream audience would accept us or not. I chose to soldier on and face them head on. For sure some of our songs are tailored for the mainstream market, but i never hid the fact that we are a Christian band, and I am proud of that. But as soon as I expanded the membership of Thoughts And Notions, people with different ideas came in with their own ideas. And I ceded the songs' creative control to them because I was busy handling the marketing aspect of the band. And little by little, we have lost track with what was the band's purpose of existence. We have strayed away from band's mission which was to share God's love through music. I'm guessing that ever since everyone in the band approved of the decision to tone down the Christian part of the band's songs, that's when problems started coming in.

The mistake we had was that we allowed the criticisms and prejudices to get the better of us. I have been talking here in our previous posts that a new album is all raring to go and is in the recording process. Unfortunately, majority of those songs' messages are not like our debut album. We wanted it to be safe and acceptable to the mainstream audience. Songs that no longer talk about God's love, but romantic love. And I guess that was the time when God finally pulled the plug.

I have always believed that Thoughts And Notions came to be because of one reason. And that reason is the love that we (the founding members, Wilbert, Thrina and I) have for God. For all the breaks and opportunities that we have, we wouldn't have achieved them if it wasn't for God's blessings. The band will be going their separate ways and may try out their luck in the mainstream market. As for me, I'm going back to songwriting. It will be a fresh new start for the band. While I would be going my way back to writing songs about God's love and the experience of having felt his love. I want to be versatile in my songwriting. I want to write about faith in action.

So what will become of Thoughts And Notions? Thoughts And Notions will continue to produce, record, and create songs in accordance to it's original intentions with Wilbert, Thrina, and me still in the fold. As what the founding members originally intended it to be. It just so happens that a band is no longer around to give the audience a "live feel" of our music (for the meantime anyway). But then we want to share his love in other more accessible ways. And there's no better way to do it than do it here in our website.

Before I end this post, let me share to you the last track of our debut album. The song called My Journey Ends. This is a fitting song for the band's story for the last 3 years. The version that you will be hearing here is an unreleased version of the song which was recorded with Jun2x Dychauco (our first drummer) doing the additional drum tracks. This is a fitting tribute to Thoughts And Notions' "band" phase. I am planning to release the album's version on radio as the final single for our debut album. Our debut album is still out in major record bars (Odyssey, SM Record Bars, and House of Praise) nationwide.

UPDATE 1

We eventually did finish the album as we reconciled and added some new members. This was a down phase that we had to deal with. And everything happens for a reason.

UPDATE 2 

The version as originally posted had been lost when I transferred the contents of our original Multiply Blogsite to Blogger. Sharing here instead is the link of the song on SPOTIFY.  



18 comments:

  1. It's sad to hear this Jasp.. but I still believe that God is sovereign, He is in control of everything. Whatever may happen after this, only God knows, according to His will, according to what pleases Him. At the end of the day, it's all about Him and Im glad you took the step to stand for His name, Im sure God was pleased. Let's all go back to the heart of worship. God bless Jasp!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not yet the end. I'm still evaluating the next step. But definitely the songs aren't dying just yet. God will be my guide, as what has been when we started this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheer up ! Heads up ! Lets be proud of who we are now.. i mean proud being a CHRISTIAN. . . Dont be fooled by a fool bro. . . Only a fool hates Christ. IF they dont like the Christian stuff PASAGDI SILA.... Insicure guys hate Christian Music and I was once like them.. I hate Christian Stuff before ... I was an Atheist. was once an agnositc of Christ .I dont believe His exstnce kay KORNY KUNO... pero i was so inscure that time and MASINAHON pud. Tanan stuff ga disadgree ko.... I know time will come that God will touch der hearts bro. Dont stop the fight.. Life is a game bro pero being a Christian we will aim for victory. Im on your side bro. Count me in. After megans vidz kamo napud para makit an nila na God stuff dili boring. Chamen ? I like this MY JOURNEY ENDS .. lami kaayo himoan ug MTV dah... hehehhe ! naa nakoy concept. heheheh !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've just began, bay. I know how that feels. My "Moving On" album contains all original I've written for solos, duet and group. I never apologize for my faith. You don't even have to do that. God knows your heart's intent. Keep on moving on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that song lang coz it's not yet the end of my journey in this ministry. But if you really think that you could create a video that could really convey the message that we are trying to share, cge go. I'm continuing to write songs and i'm not giving up. Magahatag pa ko ug album sa imo. Maybe naa pa ka lain mapili dadto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello marikitt, did i sound like i was apologizing? hehe i dunno... I just feel that somehow I was beginning to stray away from my original intention of the music of Thoughts And Notions because I gave the band too much creative freedom, and I also allowed it to happen and even I kinda changed some tack in my songwriting. But disbanding them and going back to how Thoughts And Notions came to be somehow is giving me a refresher course. By taking back the creative control again, I don't have to feel pressure of what others might think. Yes i will continue to keep on moving. With or without a band. The music will live and the good news can still be shared. I'll need some space to plot out the next steps. But definitely, I will continue writing songs. If only I have a good voice like yours and the talent to play any musical instruments, I could have followed your route hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nakakagulat naman to. Pero kaya mo yan Jasper. Just keep on making beautiful Christian music and follow what your heart tells you. Good luck and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! More music from me, wilbert, and thrina. that's my promise....

    ReplyDelete
  9. God isn't through with you guys yet, man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess so. Hope you could include us in your prayers =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only play the guitar, jasp. And even if I do, I hire a professional to record the accompaniment. I just happen to know how to sing. The advantage is that I can move around and sing/promote my songs without bringing group singers. Yun lang but in all, walang madali sa ginagawa natin. But I always remember when things get rough, that's when God's extra grace begins. Bless you, bay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, pinagiisipan ko pa ano yung next steps. Kasi this ministry is not personality based naman eh. Mas importante yung message ng song. When we started this, tatlo lang kami. Wilbert (musician/instrumentalist/arranger), Thrina (Vocals), and Me (Lyrics/melody). Good for recording lang kami, but pag dating sa live, kailangan maghire na ng members. Cguro ganun nalang, hire nalang ng additional musicians to back us up for full band setup. Otherwise, Thrina and a guitar nalang. Still exploring my options though, no definite setup pa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo naman. The content is what matters most. You know what, one of the things I learned in recording is it's better to hire professional back up singers. Kasi tumagal kami sa studio time :'( Tsk. Talagang nagovershoot ako sa budget. Kahit naman ako ang umaawit at magpromote ng album ko, di naman ganun kadali ang returns. Also I don't want to let people know I am just there to sing for them but that I am a professional counselor, too, a wounded healer, who they can come to and listen to their stories, their woundedness, and encourage them to move on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my case kasi, may sarili akong recording equipments, so save na ako dun. Sa funds naman, yeah di naman to madali, we are just here hoping na whatever funds that would come in would help us sustain our ministry. Kasi kahit papaano, we'll need money to operate this ministry. Though it is very clear na hindi yun yung priority natin, but to share God's love. Buti ka pa, professional counselor, ako ocassional counselor hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. professional pero suffering from charity fatigue syndrome for over 9 years now. ministry. fees are socialized. that's why went back to singing and songwriting just enough to sustain the ministry. counseling for me is service. i was in the part time counseling ministry from 1997-2003, help pioneered a counseling center at medical plaza makati. we thrive on donation. after 2003 i went solo, joined my husband here in pagsanjan. was and still is a consulting counselor. i can't make counseling as my livelihood. we all live by faith. whether salaried or not.and yes, faith has to be authentic, practical. by the way, saan ba recording studio mo? just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dito lang sa CDO. Just recently nilipat ko na sa bahay namin. No plans pa kung kelan ko ulit isetup kasi merong pangyayari na di ko inaasahan sa dating studio namin. Saka na cguro ako magsetup ulit pag magrerecording na.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ganyan lang yan. mahirap din recording business. not that liquid. sige. let's uphold one another in prayers, bay. shalom.

    ReplyDelete