Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The inside story of Iglap and our collaboration with Novelista Pasta

 


So, we've just recently released our new/old song "Iglap" with Novelista Pasta on the Digital Music streaming platforms. Why New/Old? Because the song is actually an old collaboration with Novelista Pasta. And as I was organizing our back catalogue and all the songs that I have written; I've decided to track down this old track if its original file was still around. Good thing Jhapoy Perez (the vocalist) still had them around. And not only this song, but their entire EP as well. So, I'm scheduling their EP release as well before the year ends. This will cement Novelista Pasta's place in the Digital Music space.

But who is Novelista Pasta? And how are they related to our band, Thoughts And Notions?

I always considered Novelista Pasta and our band as a Brother-Sister band. Simply because we both shared the same guitarist and drummer. Novelista Pasta is composed of Jhapoy Perez on vocals, John Erickson Gloria on Guitars, Adam Datoy on Bass, and Adonis Berongoy on Drums. Both Gloria and Berongoy were part of our band's sophomore album, contributing two songs (Cloudy Day, Beloved Savior) as the lead songwriters, and collaborations with me on three songs (Arise, Safer in My Heart, Stronger, Higher, Further). So, the connection was always there. Though our band existed first, Novelista Pasta became a side project for a time when Gloria and Berongoy decided to explore forming a band with a male vocalist. It wasn't a problem for me as I totally respect the artistic freedom and creative space of the musicians working with me. So, in a way, I took Novelista Pasta under my wing by bringing them along in gigs that I was able to book for my own band. In fact, both of our bands once made it to the Regional Finals held in Davao City for the Nescafe Soundskool Band competitions. But our band lost to them in the Regionals, paving the way for Novelista Pasta to make it to the Grand Finals held in Manila. This win would give Novelista Pasta an opportunity of a lifetime. As prior to the Grand Finals, Rivermaya was assigned to mentor them. 

We have always been a great fan of the OPM Rock Icon Rivermaya. And I'm sure it was an honor for the guys of Novelista Pasta to be mentored by a band that they look up to. For sure they were able to pick their brains on that 3-day event in Boracay. And although they did not end up as the Grand winner, the experience and learnings alone were a valuable tool for them to be able to start writing songs for their EP. But for that process, I wasn't part of it, except for the song Iglap. At the height of Novelista Pasta's band days, my own band took a hiatus. You could probably say a passing of the torch if you may call it that. But during my own band's hiatus, I still correspond with Adonis. And I remember that in the process of recording their EP, he asked me if I have any lyrics lying around that they could use. And since Novelista Pasta's songs are mostly in Filipino, I had to dust up my command of the language and wrote just my second Filipino Lyrics (the first one was an Ethnic environmental sounding track, Pagsapit ng Panahon).  


Iglap however is a non-Christian themed song. I also had to explore the other side of my songwriting capabilities as I rested Thoughts And Notions during that time and decided to write something that would fit in with what Novelista Pasta sings. Hence, Iglap came to be. But let me go back to what I earlier said about the band being mentored by Rivermaya? Iglap was actually inspired by Rivermaya's own hit song Kisapmata. Iglap in the English vernacular is translated as "in a flash" while Kisapmata is translated as "blink of an eye." It was a conscious effort by me to pay tribute to the band that I idolized the most in the Philipine Music scene. I guess, that is the only way I could express my gratitude and pleasure for all the great music that Rivermaya has brought in for me on a personal level. And knowing that these guys were mentored by Rivermaya, I guess that's the closest that I could ever be in terms of writing/collaborating with Rivermaya. So Iglap is written like your typical love song with unrequited love themes that seems to be a usual hit with the Filipino audience. We call that "hugot" in the local vernacular. Which also perfectly fits with what these guys from Novelista Pasta were writing for their EP.

So. there you have it. The back story of Iglap, and how my band Thoughts And Notions and Novelista Pasta's collaboration came about. This is the last song from my old back catalogue of songs that I have written. And it is finally organized in one profile where you can all access 23 of our songs with my band that I have either co-written or helped produce. Oh and before I end, if you are wondering whatever happened to Novelista Pasta now, they are still very much active. Though they have taken a different band name, calling themselves O-I-C now with a new vocalist. But from what I have been told, Novelista Pasta and Jhapoy Perez is just hibernating for the moment. A come back is still possible, But while waiting for it to happen, their EP will suffice. Announcements are coming soon once the EP is released before the year ends. 

Some Links to Consider:

Access to Iglap across major Digital Music Streaming Platforms:

https://bfan.link/iglap

Thoughts And Notions Full Song Catalogue on Spotify and Youtube

Spotify: 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6i9X1vKsBAUjGqFPmRWXgy?si=QkTsdXk7RgWu_L3csMS2iQ

YouTube:

 totsandnotions - YouTube

Follow us on Facebook:

Thoughts And Notions | Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment